Hey all!
Another long entry today :-P Enjoy!
A taste of home...
June 9: People from Philadelphia came up to learn about La Preciosita. It was nice to speak English. They loved the International Service Teams program (good job Trish). As far a English classes went, it was a review day, so we ended early! We were able to actually bond with the kids by playing soccer. Boys versus girls of course...Unfortunately, I got schooled multiple times by a 16 year old in dress shoes. Figures. Haha.
TO be or NOT to be...
June 10: Showed the kids 11 years and younger the play Shon wrote (I translated) about the zoo and held auditions for them. The play is a mix of Madagascar and Happy Feet. At the end of our stay we are going to present the play to the community!
June 11: Theater workshop for older kids had an awesome turnout which kinda surprised me. They looked excited to act and we even had to write in new characters. Also, I had hot dogs with breakfast. I haven't had a hot dog for six years, so it was a bit of an experience to say the least. This was my favorite day yet because a missionary came to the house and we practically had a Bible study (oracion). It was over the Day of Pentecost and I understood 96% of what he said even though it was in Spanish! Gave me the opportunity to enjoy some "light" reading in the book of Acts.
Ain't No Mountain High...
June 12: Suriel and his sister Sonia (our mamma Lupita's godchildren) took us on a walk today to a place called El Monte. He said it was close, but it ended up being like two miles uphill! It was worth it though! We crossed over a pond and I almost fell in. THe best part was the fact that our tour guide was this little ten year old. THe whole time he kept conversation going and we all decided that we wanted to take him home with us. I wonder what the airport security would say to that. It also was our first day of English classes for adults and only two showed up! Out of the two, one was one of our mammas and the other was our Mamma Lupita's best friend. During the evening we had true family bonding time by having our own little Mexican DP (dance party for you old timers ;-P) Then we pushed our beds together and had a sleepover with our sister Celina.
Ariel Anib...M.D.
June 13: Today, we went to church and were late! Of course, our mamma Lupita walked all the way to the front! It was so embarassing! After church we went to watch two soccer games. The first was against Barcelona and we won! THe second was against Jalisco and they were horrible! One of their players got injured and they had to forfeit the game. Viva la Preciosita! When we got back, I was going to lay in the bed when Suriel comes in asking for Translation help on homework. Eventually I find out that one of his sisters sent him over, so I got up and went to make my first house call. Mary went with me. Not only was the homework hard, but there were three girls over there all needing help with the same homework. It was awesome going over there to meet their need because that is what I'm here for. Furthermore, they were listening to music from the States and it was so interesting because they had no idea what the music was about. My hopes is that come to English classes today!
Favorite food so far: Chile Poblano--Huge Jalepeno Pepper covered in fried egg with Oaxaca cheese on the inside! MMM!
Tomorrow we'll be going to a nearby city called San Martin. Apparently Tuesdays are the days that everything is on sale! YES!!!
Well done to those who made it to the end...
Besos y Abrazos,
Ariel
Hola Hija!
ReplyDeleteYou don’t have to feel bad about a long entry because my response will be long as well. I even sometimes think your entry is not long enough since that seems to be our most vital communication medium. In fact, I get carried away as I clench my teeth into the meat of your blog…and sometimes think it should continue even after reading the last word…Ariel…
Wondering while the delay in my response?
In fact, this is my third entry. This time, I decided to type it in word, copy and paste into the response box. On two occasions, I lost my information during submission. Hopefully, this works…
A play of the century…
There is no doubt that you’re putting both your theater experience at Pioneer Trail, though long ago and your tenacity for Spanish language into practice. I’m sure this blend will be reflected in the final product when the play is finally presented to the community. And please, ensure that you make me a copy of the final product for my record. It will be a play of a lifetime…mind you this event may not occur again. I’m also happy that you’re at the same time able to find time and share your beliefs with your new community despite your hectic schedule…
Mission being realizado…
From writing, translating and acting plays to coaching both youths and adults English and simultaneously helping children with homework and on and on…your plate is full, no doubt… In spite the multiplicity of your activities while at Mexico, you still find time to update us on your adventures. The leadership experience you would gain from the International Service Team Program (ISTP) is unduplicable in any other programs. Kudos to Trish and all those who helped to put the ISTP together and also ensure its materialization.
Hot dog for breakfast…?
Amazing! Seriously, I’m impressed that you adjusted to your new culture so quickly. At home, I couldn’t even convince you to task my BBQ hot dogs. In fact, I would argue vehemently if someone else told me you had hot dogs for breakfast after six years. But since the story was emanating from the horses’ mouth, I quickly recover from my skepticism. I’m sure you’re anxious to read as to what is going on at home, especially with reference to…
Ray J…
Your brother is rapidly making improvements on his communication skills. He’s been accumulating additional words/phrases, in addition to counting 1-20 and reciting A-Z…He’s really missing you. He visits your room very often thinking that you are there. We also bought swings this week which should be installed by Thursday. I’m sure he would like it. More so, it will save me trips to the neighborhood park.
And Me…?
I hope to aggressively start studying for my comp exam in earnest. I really need to start because I can’t proceed on my dissertation until I pass and defend my comp. exam. On June 10, I went to K-State to man the PFA booth during the week of New Student Orientation and Enrollment. There, I met a friend of yours…Mike Boeck with whom I had very interesting discussion. He said both of you worked together during the Wildcat Warm-up. I even took a picture with him which I intend to download on my fb once I perfect the technology. When would you be home? It seems as if you have left for well over a year…And thank you for being a good ambassador…and please ser seguro!
Te quiero,
Papito