Monday, July 26, 2010

"It's not goodbye, it's see you later!"

Hey all,

So this will be my second to last post because it is already our last week in Mexico! Who knew that ten weeks could go by so fast and slow all at the same time?!


A Close to service:


Our service officially ended Thursday, July 22. It was definitely bittersweet. On one hand it was awesome because we were able to showcase the older kid's play for the public and it was a huge success! We held a little cast party with them which was cool because it was part potluck, part dance! As far as the little kids in theater classes we just ended with lots of games rather than their play because it was really unstable! Our last week of English classes were amazing to see because we were able to see how the kids had learned over 100 words in English! What a blessing! Mary and I taught the older kids useful phrases like "that's cool" and "I miss you" the last day and they loved it.

May the vacation begin!
We spend Friday, July 23- Sunday, July 25 in La Presiosita as part of our vacation. It was cool getting to spend time with our families along with hanging out with our new-found friends. Sunday night, we went to a baile (dance) in a neighboring town--Coltzingo. It was a lot like the one in La Presiosita on the first of July, but way bigger. It was ridiculous though that although there was a live band onstage, we seemed to be the main attraction. I think this trip is making me immune to staring. Haha, I barely noticed.

Adios La Presiosita...
Let's be honest...goodbyes suck. Yesterday, we went to the houses of all our mammas and close friends of the family to leave pictures that we printed and say goodbye. There were tears and left us feeling pretty depressed. This morning we were at the bus stop at 11AM with our mammas and our families and it sucked because they hugged like they were saying goodbye forever! I didn't cry until I got on the bus and balled for a good 30 minutes. No joke, I am planning a trip through Monterrey and visiting La Presiosita next year before my internship.

Now...we are in Veracruz which is a beautiful city in Mexico. We are staying here for a couple of days and then going to Mexico City for two days. I officially arrive in the States Saturday, July 31st. Note to friends and family, all I want to do is sleep the 31st, so I won't be available to do much of anything! I go back to Manhattan August 6th, so I only have five days to spend time with you all!

I love you so much and can't wait to see good ole Kansas!

Con amor,

Ariel Anib

1 comment:

  1. Hola Ariel!

    I absolutely agree with you that saying goodbye sucks...It not only sucks for the wisher but also the wishee. Regardless of the emotions that come with "goodbye" "whenever one loses, another one gains." We are all anxiously waiting to say "welcome" to you. Welcome is soothing and welcomes the most joyous moment...

    Honestly, your absense from home has been the most gruesome and nerve wrecking moment for all your loved ones at home...The 10 weeks seems like 10 years. I almost thought it will not end, but finally it's here...Saturday July 31, you'll be home.

    At least I will have my daughter back if only for 5 days. I know that the 5 days will seem like 5 seconds, but at least being in Manhattan will be much closer than Mexico or La Periosita for that matter.

    Thank you Ariel! You have been a great ambassador of your parents, school and your community. No parent could be more proud than us. We are very proud of you! You are welcome back home in anticipation!

    I love you!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete