Day 14
If any
of you that read my blog stalk me on facebook, you already know I found the
church of my dreams on Sunday. The church is called Trigo y Miel (Wheat and Honey). I found out about it from Julieta
(my landlord’s daughter). Julieta and her husband picked me up and took me.
From the outside, the church does not necessarily look like a church, but when
you walk in, the floors are beautifully tiled. I must confess…I had heard from
a coworker that the church was Baptist and I was a little nervous that it would
be Southern Baptist aka no dancing. But when I walked in I looked at the front
and there were praise dancers (ribbons, tambourines, and all). Why
did I love this church so much? Well in the United States, churches are
so segregated. I love contemporary worship and reliance on the Scriptures in
Anglo-nondenominational churches, the value of community/transparency in
worship and heartfelt preaching in black churches. This church truly was the
best of both worlds.
I spent
the afternoon in the café where I am now a regular! It was quite the lazy day,
but so worth it. This day also began the tradition of tea and bread with Doña
(my landlord). We have nice little conversations and she is a wonderful
substitute for a grandmother. Not only that, but she calls me Ari (which I
normally don’t like), but from her it is precious and makes me feel accepted. J
Day 15
So this
week at the Tecnológico it was exam
week. While, the English teachers were conducting oral exams two students at a
time, I was supposed to prepare the remaining students by conducting a review
session. Well, I had to be at work at 7AM and a coworker offered to give me a
ride because she lived in the Centro. It was still dark when I went down to
meet her. And after 40 minutes and two frustrating calls, we realized that we
were looking for each other in two very different places.
Once I
arrived to work, I found Regina—the teacher I was to help out. She is from
Germany and is somewhat of a polyglot. We quickly learned that rain made the
trek to her classroom in the trailer terribly difficult. And after getting our
shoes caked with mud, we discovered that there was neither light nor internet
in most of the school. It was then that I decided that I was done
coming in at 7AM! The students did not arrive until about 8AM. When the
oral exams began, I finally got student interaction. And I loved it! The
students were so much fun and teaching them made me excited for the weeks to
come.
After
finding out that I got lost for a while last week, Julieta took me on a tour of
the bus system. We got on and off buses all over Guanajuato and I think I get
it…for the most part. Juliata is like my mother in the faith and has definitely
taken me under her wing. She also told me that I could go to Colombia in November
for a conference with them! WAHOOO!!! I can check that off my bucket list.
Day 16
Tuesday,
was an all-time low. There was no internet at school. I did nothing
all day. And on top of that, I got VERY homesick. I think it was the
first time that has happened in my life! I didn’t even know what it was at
first. It started when I looked at old pictures from the summer in my camera
and before you know it I was completely depressed and looking forward to when I
could go back home (I know you’re smiling mom). I realized that I am missing my
house church and the community of friends that I have had over the last couple
of years. You see, I have no one my age here to bond with…No one that just
calls me up or comes over to visit. So that is my current prayer request J
So to
remedy this sickness, I prayed and wrote a poem. I realized that even when I am
not surrounded by people, I am not alone. For in the silence, I can hear the
small movements that the Lord is doing in my heart and in Guanajuato.
Day 17
So the
day that I had dreaded finally arrived. It was time to go to San Miguel de
Allende to get my visa. You see, I went through a headache to get a visa at the
Mexican Consulate in Kansas City, only to find out that they only last six
months. On top of that, you can only enter the country once. Then
when I got to customs in Mexico City, they said I had 30 days to get my new
visa. So you can imagine my heart toward the visa process. Well, I was blessed
enough to be able to go San Miguel’s office (about an hour away) with two
coworkers Martha and Ramón who is from Nicaragua. Fígense…it was so easy! I was in and out in a couple hours (Ramón
wasn’t so lucky). They said my visa would be ready on Friday, although I cannot
go back until next week with Ramón. Martha and I had time to even walk around
the city and grab a late breakfast (compliments of the school budget). In San
Miguel, I saw a ridiculous amount of people from the States. The most
interesting sight was the JoCo-looking mom with Starbucks in her hand. Ah…there
really is no place like home!
I went
to visit a church with my coworker, Ramón, but it did not compare with the
church I went to on Sunday. So it was double confirmation that Trigo y Miel is where it’s at.
Day 18
From
start to finish this was one of my favorite days in Guanajuato. I went to work
at the Tecnológico at about nine. For
some reason, the university has a little bit of a high school feel. When I walk
in, it feels like I just stepped into the scene of Mean Girls when they are
walking down the hallway and everyone stops all conversation and stares. Then
all of sudden you hear safari animals because all time practically stops. That
is what it is like for me. But it is less animalistic and more amazement at my
skin and my hair. However, after getting to know another class of students, I
got less stares and more Hhhhellos.
One of the highlights was when this precious and EXTREMELY shy girl came up to
me in the library and told me that she desperately wants my help in learning
English. I don’t know who told her about me, but I passed her my information
and let her know the workshops will begin next week. So this is what being
famous is like…
In the
afternoon, I got to hang out with Julieta again. She took me to the Pipila
which is this statue of a Man holding a torch and it represents liberation.
From the high altitude, you can see all of Guanajuato. Unfortunately, I forgot
my camera! We then went out on the town and walked through the theater
district. On the steps of Teatro Juarez there was an audience watching with awe
the antics of a payaso (clown).
Julieta asked me if I wanted to stop and I warned her that I was sure to be the
brunt of a joke. Not even five minutes in, he easily spotted me and pulled me
to the “stage”. There, he mimed a whole scene of us getting married—bridal veil
and all. To think that was not enough, he mimed me getting pregnant and asks
how many to which I (without thinking) put up the number three. So
apparently you were all right. I got married in Mexico and am now pregnant with
triplets who will grow up to be street performers like dad. Lucky me!
Day 19 (today)—Friday
Went to
work and finally was able to get a schedule for the rest of the semester. I
will be giving weekly workshops to both teachers and students at the school. I
am so excited for what is in store and how God is going to teach me through
this experience.
Tonight
I will be going to a Messianic Jew workshop at the church and will be spending
the night at Julieta’s!
Cultural Lesson
Learned:
To get someone to come, Mexicans make a gesture that looks
like they are patting a dog. To me, it looks like either go away or bend down.
Well if you do the one finger come here
motion that we do in the States it is supposedly flirty and should be
accompanied with a wink. So I mistakenly hit on a few male students when asking
them to come to the front. The ooooooooos
and whistles from the class were enough to teach me the error of my ways.
My bad!
Alright I’m out.
Sirenita
No comments:
Post a Comment