Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Living in Abundance


Remember me talking about CRAZY the Cervantino festival was? Well, check out the video that I made, and see if you agree!


Thursday, October 18 (Day 60)
So, those of you who have kept close contact with me know that I have been searching for people my age who love Jesus. Well, we had a "youth conference" for three days. Here, youth means anywhere from age 13 to 25, which is like four different walks of life. Nonetheless, I met some cool young people in their 20s from churches all over Guanajuato. It truly was an answer to prayer. Some of them just really took me under their wing and for the first time I felt like people in Mexico knew my real personality. 



Friday, October 19 (Day 61)
So I was in the bus station waiting for some Fulbrighters to get into town when I saw a very sad scene. 
There was this little girl trying to get her father's attention multiple times. He constantly tells her to hush, or outright ignores her. His son on the other hand, he turns to and asks to come sit right by him. He fondly puts his arm around him and gives him a kiss on the cheek. Then all of a sudden, I see the daughter stand up and go to her father. It looks as if he had invited her over...or so I thought. Much to my dismay, she just had to go to the bathroom. With a flick of the wrist, he dismisses her. 
What message do you think that sends to each child? Praise God, that I was given an earthly father who reflects His character. I never had to ask for approval nor attention. My dad just gave it to me, automatically. Even now, at age 21, he manages to show me that he loves me as much as my little brother. Can't wait to see you in November dad!

Sunday, October 21 (Day 63)
So a couple Fulbrighters wanted to join me at Trigo y Miel for the Sunday service. It was so great worshipping alongside two brothers from the US. They loved it as much as I always do. The only downside is that we had guest speaker from Colombia that talked REALLY fast. The funny part was when we acted out the parable of the Good Samaritan and they selected me to play the role of the Good Samaritan. Oh the irony!
Additionally, Cervantino finally ended! PRAISE GOD!!!



Friday, October 26 (Day 68)
So my church, Trigo y Miel, had a Tabernacle Party (roughly translated). Essentially, this consists of worship all night and camping out. Although someone had to pick me up on the road because I couldn't originally find it...it was a blast! It was so great getting to know more people in the congregation. The only craziness was when Lupita (the pastor's wife) made me sing How He Loves on Karaoke. It was very intense and downright terrifying. 




Sunday, October 28 (Day 70)
I went with some people (from Comunidad Cristiana) that I met from the Youth Conference to play at a local sports center. Here are my discoveries: I am a decent defender in soccer; in Mexico, I am comparable to Michael Jordan in basketball; and I barely got enough time to play volleyball, but the random dudes I joined invited me back next Sunday. On the downside, I broke four finger nails! gah...

Tuesday, October 30 (Day 72)
My biggest highlight was seeing a guy wearing a KC hat and another guy in a Cardinals jacket. I have been waiting to see people wearing sports memorabilia from home and I almost jumped out of the bus when I saw it!!!

TODAY...Wednesday, October 31 (Day 73)
It's Halloween! There are a lot of people here that are anti-Halloween. It is just another example of how the US invades apparently. But on the other hand, I have also seen a ridiculous amount of people dressed up (especially being so far from the border). I myself plan on being an angel.

It is crazy to think that I have officially been out of the country longer than I have ever have before. Can you believe I am already almost 1/3 through my time in México?

What's New?
*New Students: I have been teaching an average of 40-50 students a week now. Why? Because 50% of the students fail their English tests and they must get me to sign off saying that they got extra help. Nominations for English Conversation Club (ECC) are this week and voting for officers is next week! It is fun to see some students get excited to take a leadership role.

*New Friends: Aside from the gang from the conference, I have made a few random friends around Guanajuato. Mayra works at the gym that I go to and we hang out on Mondays and Wednesdays during her break. Iri is my new church buddy at Comunidad Cristiana and I absolutely love her family! We will be dressing up as angels together. 

*New Hobbies: I have learned how to knit, training for a 10k, and trying to learn french. Why? Because I can! 

*New FervorAs you can see...I have just been really blessed. I have learned to love Guanajuato and the people I have come into contact with. When I first got here, I was bored out of my mind and just downright lonely. But once I realized that God is to be my source, he poured more blessings than I could ever ask for. Ephesians 3:20-21 says, "Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen." I encourage you all to learn how to live in abundance. Abundant living has nothing to do with how much you have or even how much you know. It can only be achieved through a relationship with Jesus Christ in whom all were redeemed. 
~Check out this random relationship spoken word poem I wrote!


THIS Weekend: I am headed to Leon, Guanajuato and Queretaro for Dia de los Muertos! 


Keep me lifted up in your prayers...he truly is faithful :-D
LionofGod

No comments:

Post a Comment