Monday, May 31, 2010

Home...Home on the Range...

Hey all!

Whoa dude...
Right now, we're in an internet cafe that resembles a gas station using their computers. It's about ten minutes on bus from La Preciosita, and it only costs one dollar an hour to use the internet! We're going to try to come here about every Monday around this time! Yay!

La Preciosita...la comunidad bella...
So, due to the fact that I haven't updated in forever...I have a lot to talk about! We arrived in La Preciosita Friday, May 28 by bus. When they said we were going to live in the mountians, they weren't joking! It was all uphill to get to the house we are staying at. Not only that, but we were surrounded by burros, cows, goats, horses, pigs, and various other farm animals. The scenery is absolutely beautiful, and I can't wait to show you all pictures!

Familia...
So, we are staying with various families while we're in La Preciosita. Our first is the Guzman family. They are so sweet. Our mom's name is Mine and she is about 4 foot 10 inches with a heart of gold. She is constantly either cooking for us or cleaning. It is absolutely amazing. Our dad's name is Alejandro (I have met like four Ales and no Jose's). He just got back from working in Chicago in the states in February. Now he works in the city to provide for his family. You can tell he will do anything for his family. They have three kids: Gomaro (10), Polito (8), and Ester (2). Gomaro is in a wheelchair, but can do anything if he puts his mind to it. Polito is one of the cutest kid ever and we always play futbol (soccer) in the house together. Ester is the fiestiest two year I've ever met haha.

Here's a chuckle for you...
So a lot of random funny things have happened while I've been here.
*Our second day in La Preciosita, Mary, Shawna, and I made a trip to La Panaderia (bread store). Because we didn't know the way, Polito took us. The house that we are staying at is kinda far away from the heart of the community, so it was a bit of a walk. When we got close we so a lot of people were crowded around. Apparently some guy that is running for political office was having a rally. Being the from the States...we stole his thunder because everyone turned and just watched us. When we got to the store, a woman asked us if we needed anything, and we pointed at Polito and said, we're with him. She started cracking up! That's when I realized how weird it must look with three 20 year olds following an eight year old around. Hahha!

Yesterday...
So yesterday was the most eventful day ever! We woke up at 8 in the morning for breakfast of coffee and bread. I don't even like coffee, but it wasn't too bad. Then we went to la misa (mass) while I didn't understand of course. After church we ate real tacos...that were amazing! Then we went to a place called El Campo. It was kind of exclusive because you needed a key to even get in. It was a beautiful place in the mountains with a lake and a log cabin. There was a rope in the tree that we used to swing over the lake. Then we went to our abuelito´s house (Alejandro's dad) for his birthday. When we got there, we ate again (rice and chicken tortillas this time). Then we were introduced to our host dad's brother who is going to the States in January. We taught him some basics in English for a couple hours and it was unbelieveable how hard English is compared to spanish. Some word pronunciations just make no sense at all! After that they offered us more food! Veggie soup this time which I was not a fan of at all! But I tried it...Kids in the community got news were in town so we all went to play Basketball...and that's when I realized how out of shape I was haha! We eat so much here, I feel like I'm getting fattened up to be eaten for Thanksgiving! After basketball, we ate birthday cake which was amazing! Oh my goodness!

Random...
Gary Coleman died Friday of a brain hemorrage? While I was typing this blog, a little girl just ran up, touched my hair, and ran! By the way, I love the Mexican police...eight ppl can ride in a car with no problems...I'll elaborate later. :-P

I love you all and miss you more than you know! I will probably post again on Sunday.

Besos,

Ariel Anib

1 comment:

  1. Hola Ariel,

    It is exciting to read from you once again after a period of incommunicado...but we all understand. There is no doubt that you're having a taste of multiculturalism and diversity. Definitely, you have no problem in culturally immersing yourself into your new environment. You've shown this by trying some new foods to adjusting very well in a shortest possible time to an environment not as robust as the one you're used to. I'm very proud of you! In fact, I'm amazed on how positively you embraced your new family and how quickly you've adjusted to the culture of La Preciosita. Continue to give us updates on your new adventures and experiences. And please give my warmest regards to your host family for their hospitality and love. But remember, always be SAFE. We all miss you, and Ray J. says "I love you sissy..." Your brother is really talking. He has graduated from just words to constructing phrases. His level of language abstraction is encouraging. For example, phrases includes but not limited to "let's go; give me fives and so on and on..."

    I love you,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete