Yesterday:
Method to this madness...
So my teammates and I went to El bisquet (a restaurant) for breakfast for the millionth time in a row to visit our new friend Tona. I didn't order anything though because I am starting to feel the pain of having to spend money all summer without being able to work. It's going to be hard, and my college student instincts are kicking in! I only spend if I have to and bargaining is becoming my best friend! After breakfast we went to class with our teacher, Gabriela. She is so awesome because she is teaching us things that will put us in the right mindset before going to La Preciosita. She had Shon and I look up information about the education stats in Mexico in general and La Preciosita. It's crazy because 7.56% of the people don't know how to read. There are three schools (preschool, elementary, and junior high). There isn't a high school. My First Aha Moment: Shon and I told Gabriela that we knew that La Preciosita was a community of women and children and she asked us how. Haha, for some reason we never thought of it before, and couldn't answer the question. Finally, she asked where the fathers might be? Conclusion...in the US making money for the family. The poverty is so high in the community that after eighth grade, the kids have to work to help their family survive. Now that is a good teacher!
Vamos a Bailar...
After class with Gabriela we had our first dance class! One of the ladies at UPAEP told us to meet her at 2:30pm, so she could walk us to the place where our class would be. She never showed up, so we ended up getting there late. Haha, it was so embarassing! But we jumped right in and showed the other international students what we were working with. Salsa night here I come!
Today:
School was awesome! We went on a scavenger hunt in the local store, Chedraui it reminds of a Walmart. The teams were me and Mary versus Shon and Shawna. They made it back way before me, but they left out a category so we won! Oh yes!
Eeyore Moment...
So, honestly, Mexico is a lot of fun...but...all this excitement is making me so tired. I wake up every night at 3am and 6am because of all the noise outside. It's starting to wear on me, so keep me in your prayers! HOWEVER...tonight we are going to a lounge with our new friend Vanesa and I am PUMPED!
Random:
The street vendors here have loudspeakers. God has blessed me so much.
Sorry that was so long haha! Wonder who read the whole entry...?
Besos,
Ariel
ARIEL!!
ReplyDeleteoh my gosh, I had no idea you were going to be in Mexico all summer!!! how COOL! :) Wow- I'm definitely keeping you in my thoughts and prayers- God is going to teach you SO much :)
Have LOADS of fun! :)
Hola Ariel,
ReplyDeleteOf course, I read your entire entry...Once I started, I couldn't stop. I was literally interacting with the text-written in epilogue-style-almost forgetting that I was not face-to-face with you. Amazing! There is no doubt that you're having a tremendous load of fun-despite the interruption by the loudspeakers that are occasionally punctuating your sleep and much needed rest. But try your best to have some rest at any time the opportunity flies your way. Gabriela was such a good teaacher you reinterated. Yes, I agree! She always makes you to engage your metacognitive processes and come up with the most probable answers. And it was sad to read that high school education is absent in that part of the world due to the need for survivability. It is unfortunate! And your meeting with Venesa? I know your were pumped up for the acquaintance...Did the get-together correlate with your level of fun? I'm sure! But if not, I know you'll always make it to meet your expectations. Today is my last day at work. I'm just getting ready to be checked out by my principal and engage my gear with my foot on the accelerator and with your brother-Ray J. at the passenger seat. My advice..."Ray J. fasten your car seat and get ready for the boomerang!" And my advice to you Ariel, please be SAFE! We miss you! And please extend my warmest regards to the entire team-Shawna, Shon and ? please remind me...